Wednesday, October 21, 2015

I love disasters

I love disasters. There, I said it. Not for the destruction and action as if it was a movie. I love deploying to disasters because in those craziest of moments, I feel the most needed. I can do something as small as handing someone a bottle of water and to that someone, I made a huge difference. Disasters give me hope in humanity when I see someone who has lost everything, with a smile on their face, helping a neighbor fix their home. I enjoy working in that environment because even when the only constant thing is change, the volunteers and staff still buckle down and put the client first. The long days energize me. I wake up looking forward to figuring out how I can help. It's the most wonderful feeling in the world. You meet people from around the country, in different organizations all trying to help. It's a connection that stays with you. It's also why the Red Cross is the first place where I feel connected with the organization and its' mission as a whole and not specifically just one location. I may be 1,500 miles away but when I head into the local Red Cross, I immediately feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment